Monday, December 1, 2014

Christmas Traditions

I grew up with more traditions for each holiday than I could count. 
I never realized it, but now that I'm older and we have less time, money and desire to do all things holiday, I find myself hearing "But it's tradition!" any time I want to cancel anything!

Matt's family was much more minimalist when it came to holidays, with a few overarching and super important traditions that everyone participated in, like an annual seafood feast to celebrate the new year. 

We want to do something in between with our family, and while we are still figuring out exactly what each holiday will hold tradition-wise, we knew we wanted to keep one tradition from when I was little, plus a little twist. 

When I was little, I always had my own teeny-tiny tree in my room. It was fake, but I was always so excited to pull it out of it's box and have my own box of ornaments that my dad brought from the storage unit each year. It's where our Elf would put our presents, and I got to open a new ornament for it every Christmas Eve along with jammies. I don't know if I will do all of that, but I love the idea of each kid having a tree to decorate however they see fit. I also love the idea of a real tree, but hate the maintenance, and like to have mine lit almost 24-7 in December, which dries those puppies right up. So this year, we started a new tradition. We went out and bought a real tree, but a mini one, just for Beans. It's the best of both worlds, really. 

Shauna and Dave came along to help us pick it out and it was the cutest thing, watching Clara touch each needle and staring as she got sap on her tiny little fingers. Christmas with a baby, man. It is freaking killing me! So. Much. Cuteness.
















No comments:

Post a Comment